During tough economic times the job market is down and many are out of work. Not only that, for most who enroll in a vocational training or vocational rehab program to learn a skill that will get them back into the workforce it often means making a choice between work, or school. It is hard to do both. Although most vocational training institutions offer their programs in morning, afternoon and evening sessions, they demand time and focus to achieve good grades.
It is almost impossible to maintain a full time job and earn excellent grades, especially in an accelerated program, such as the typical 9 -11 month long medical assistant training courses. These medical assistant vocational training programs often require an externship to earn the desired diploma or degree, so where full time work is nearly impossible there is an answer to this dilemma: temp or part time work.
Temp positions are available in many fields, including healthcare, especially in medical offices for medical assistants, business and computers. Taking into consideration the pros and cons, temping can be the difference between getting by and not.
Typical Requirements for a Medical Assistant Part Time Job:
Pros & Cons of Temp Work Assignments
PROSAccording to the American Staffing Association, temp workers can earn at least $12 or more per hour, in most instances even considerably more than their permanent counterparts; however, they do not always qualify for benefit packages full time employees might enjoy.
- Making a major difference to needy offices
- Learning and seeing new things
- Gaining varied experiences from different places
- Earning more, getting better hourly pay
- Meeting new people and making connections
- Flexibility and freedom to say no
- Work as much or as little as needed to get by
- A foot in the door for a future position
- Working in an unfamiliar work environment
- Not knowing what is expected
- Not being part of the established group
- Adjusting to a new setting and people
- Stressing out to do things right
- Having to perform tasks right off the bat
- Not receiving additional training
- Possibility to be taken off of the assignment any moment